Monday, November 26, 2012

Get Serious!

In the course of gardening season, other things go by the wayside - namely pottery.  Pottery seems to fill the same space in the non-gardening season.  But it's probably mostly has to do with my organization with a little prioritization thrown in.  But, as anyone close to me knows, I can spend days agonizing over not having enough time!  So, let's not get started now.

My writing today has to do with the pure fun I've had getting back into my studio for the past two days.  It was very pleasurable getting muddy again.  I also had my mom and tow girls in the clay, as well.

All fun aside, I am now going to work on getting a good solid procedure in place that will allow me to still do other things.  As today barely started, I had a call to sub at school.  While this is a good thing, letting mugs and handles get too dry in the studio is not.  So, I should go back to methods from the learning studio - covering things so they don't dry out - then if something happens, I don't need to worry about starting over.  And if I'm not called away, then when I have some time and can uncover, possibly use a fan for expedited drying, and keep moving forward. 

And the key is just that:  to keep moving forward and therefore make progress.  In looking at myself recently, I was wanting to get moving in pottery.  And one of the ideas given to me was to take myself seriously.  Now, that doesn't mean to become stern and only work.  To me, this means to put in some good time, make progress and at least act like it's a real thing.  Probably that includes not letting my equipment collect dust.  Also, making and giving pottery items as gifts would be a good thing.  My goal of making a better coffee mug from Dad's clay and giving it to him for Christmas would be a worthwhile goal.

So, in light of the success and failure in my studio in the past couple of days, I would like to get in it tonight and work on my new procedures, as well as practice some more mugs.  Those small goals would work toward the larger ones that would be due in about a month!

Ho, ho, ho...

No comments:

Post a Comment